Thursday 22 March 2018

Man (37) dies after leaving the heater on overnight - inquest hears

Stock photo: Getty
Stock photo: Getty Newsdesk Newsdesk

An inquest at Dundalk Coroners court heard that a 37-year-old Rwandan national died after he was exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide when a gas heater was left on an overnight.

The inquest heard that on the morning of November 26, 2015 Jean Piere Gasores was found on the sofa at Apartment, 6 Seatown Place, by a friend who had called to collect him.

They had been due to go out to 'drop leaflets' that day.

But he found Mr. Gasores to be unresponsive, and there was a heater on beside him, which appeared to have been left on overnight.

It was an old style gas heater with a cylinder attached.

A carbon monoxide monitor was found on the windowsill outside.

Emergency services arrived at the scene, and the area was evacuated due to fears of high levels of carbon monoxide.

Firefighters from Dundalk Fire Service ensured the apartment was well ventilated.

Mr. Gasores, whose wife and child reside in South Africa, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The inquest was told that the deceased was thought to have only bought the heater the day before.

It appeared that it kept setting off the carbon monoxide alarm, which he then placed outside.

The inquest was told that it seemed he had been sleeping on the sofa beside the heater as there was some evidence of burns on the bottom of his legs.

A post mortem was carried out which showed he had generally been in good health.

However toxicology reports found that the level of carbon monoxide in his blood was 53%, which was considered lethal.

An inspection of the apartment found there was no other source of carbon monoxide except for the heater, which was found to have been manufactured in 1984.

Coroner Ronan Maguire returned a verdict of accidental death.

He said that it appeared to have been a 'tragic accident.'

Mr. Gasores seemed to have bought the heater to keep warm during what was a particularly cold spell.

But the heater had been left on overnight, and he was subjected to lethal levels of carbon monoxide.

He expressed sympathy to the deceased's family on the terrible loss of such a young man, who had been living in Ireland for many years.

Mr. Gasore's brother, who had travelled from the UK to attend the inquest, asked if it were possible for Jean-Pierre's wife and child to be able to come to Ireland to visit his grave in St. Patrick's cemetery.

Gardai undertook to contact the national immigration services to assist with the request.

The Argus

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News