- Interviews with sources were not documented, while note-taking was non-existent.
- RTE guidelines allow secret filming under certain circumstances, including when it is believed that a subject will not consent. It was assumed Fr Reynolds would not consent.
- There was a mentality that the offer of a paternity test from Fr Reynolds was an attempt to derail the programme.
- Reporter Aoife Kavanagh, although experienced, was working on her first 'Prime Time Investigates' programme and had not been provided with training on the guidelines surrounding investigative journalism.
- The credibility of key sources was not properly interrogated by either the editors or the production team.