Tuesday 20 March 2018

Machine was cause of recycling plant blaze

Elaine Keogh

A FIRE in a machine is thought to have caused a massive blaze at a recycling plant that may not be fully extinguished until tomorrow.

The cost of the damage to the warehouse near Slane, Co Meath -- which contained 700 tonnes of commercial dry waste -- is expected to be several hundred thousand euro.

The plant is run by Panda Waste Services, which employs 440 people.

General manager Brian McCabe insisted that the fire would not impact on jobs, with staff at the plant set to be redeployed elsewhere.

One hundred people are employed at the plant, which has the capacity to recycle 180,000 tonnes of municipal and household waste.

It also recycles 120,000 tonnes of commercial hardboard and paper for export.

"There is absolutely no hazardous or toxic waste whatsoever at all in it," Mr McCabe added.

"Obviously the smoke is going out there and I am sure it is causing a lot of nuisance and we apologise to all our neighbours for it."

The fire service in Meath worked to prevent any risk of pollution to the groundwater.

"There appears to have been substantial damage caused but we are satisfied it was accidental damage resulting from a small fire in a machine," Gda Supt Michael Devine, of Navan, said.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News