Wednesday 21 February 2018

Lukasz 'the gentleman' to be buried back home in Poland

Edel Kennedy

THE family of a Polish man who died after being attacked on his way to work are preparing to bring his body home for burial later this week.

Lukasz Rzeszutko -- described by his employers as "a true gentlemen" -- had been living in Ireland for three years before he lost his fight for life on Monday.

He had lived in north Dublin with his partner. His brother Piotr also worked with him and lived nearby.

The 27-year-old had been on a life-support machine at Beaumont hospital in Dublin after being assaulted in the early hours of Saturday morning.

He was attacked by a gang of young men just yards from his workplace in the Newtown Industrial estate, just off the Malahide Road in Dublin.

He had been working at Kish Fish seafood processing plant since 2007, along with his brother Piotr.

Lukasz grew up in a small village called Jedzbark in the Polish lake district, before moving to college in the nearby city of Olsztyn in 1998.

He enrolled at the School of Mechanical Engineering where he graduated in 2001 with a degree in engineering.

After graduating from the degree programme he went on to study for a Masters at the College of Further Education in Ostroda.

He graduated in 2002 and five years later he moved to Ireland along with his partner.

The couple lived in nearby Clarehall and it is understood they had moved house recently.

He was attacked as he walked to work to begin his 5am shift -- and he sustained serious head injuries.

He was discovered a short time later and the emergency services were called.

He was treated in Beaumont Hospital but the life support machine was switched off after his family arrived from Poland to be at his bedside. They are currently arranging to return his body for burial.

One friend, who is living in Dublin, wrote on a Polish chat forum: "I knew him. He was a really nice quiet guy. I was at the hospital yesterday. It was a horrible shock for all of us -- Lukasz's family and for all of us here."


A 20-year-old charged with assault causing harm to Lukasz is due to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Friday. Edward Byrne, with an address at a Dublin 8 YMCA hostel, appeared in court on Monday and was remanded in custody.

Two other teenagers who were questioned about the attack have been released without charge. The two teenagers are originally from the Coolock area and had been questioned by officers at Raheny and Clontarf garda stations. A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. Gardai have interviewed a large number of people as a result of their inquiries since the weekend and investigating officers are building up a substantial file on the case.

A post-mortem was carried out on his body yesterday but the results were not released.

Gardai are continuing their investigation into the death.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News