Friday 24 November 2017

Living room destroyed after Christmas decoration falls on candle

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

A living room has been destroyed in a fire caused by an unattended candle left burning too close to Christmas decorations.

On Tuesday December 6 the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended a house fire in west Belfast.

Damage caused to Belfast house after Christmas decoration catches fire.
Damage caused to Belfast house after Christmas decoration catches fire.

There were no injuries as a result of the incident but the NIFRS has issued a warning of how quickly and easily a fire can take hold in the home at Christmas.

The female resident had left the property for a very short time and when she returned she discovered a fire in the ground floor of her house.

A Christmas decoration had fallen onto a small candle which was left burning on the hearth.

Firefighters attended the scene and the fire was quickly extinguished.

Geoff Somerville, NIFS Group Commander said: "The house has been badly smoke damaged as a result of the incident.  The Fire Emergency Support Service was also in attendance to offer assistance to the householder.

“We are very grateful to the householder for her co-operation in highlighting the dangers of unattended candles in the home.  Christmas is traditionally a busy time for NIFRS as incidences of fire in the home increase due to extra fire hazards such as candles, fairy tree lights, portable heaters, overloaded sockets and people using fires that have not been lit for some time.

“I’m asking people to give priority to fire safety and not to become complacent about it over Christmas.  Check that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your house.

“Our STOP Fire Christmas advertising campaign is currently running on TV and Radio and we are promoting Christmas fire safety messages on social media.  People should also visit our website –www.nifrs.org.  for more Home Fire Safety Advice.”

Belfast Telegraph

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News