| 6.5°C Dublin

Limerick killings case adjourned

TWO cousins charged with the murders of a man and woman who were shot dead in the same house have had their cases adjourned until February 17.

Patrick O'Brien (31), with an address at Glanntan, Golf Links Road, Castletroy, Limerick, and Thomas Stewart (27), of the Cedars, Briarfield, Castletroy, appeared in Limerick District Court yesterday via video link. The cousins were charged with the murders of Des Kelly (24) and Breda Waters (28) at 531 O'Malley Park, Southill, Limerick, on January 9.

Boy quizzed over ambulance theft

A YOUTH was questioned by gardai investigating the theft of an ambulance outside an accident and emergency department.

Gardai in Portlaoise said the ambulance was taken shortly before midnight on Wednesday outside Portlaoise Hospital and recovered a short time later at a housing estate in the town. The boy, who was taken to Portlaoise garda station for questioning, has since been released.

Zoo fans name giraffe and rhino

SUPPORTERS of Dublin Zoo appropriately chose Swahili to name the latest additions to its African Plains exhibit.

The female Rothschild giraffe calf, born at the zoo on November 4, has been christened Arria, which means "lean and slender one" in the east African language. Fellow newborn, a white male rhinoceros calf, who was born on December 10, was named Zuberi -- "strong one".

Crash victim gets €425,000 payout

A WOMAN who suffered a brain injury in a car crash yesterday secured a High Court settlement of €425,000.

Natasha Gartlan (21), of Corrinty, Corduff, Carrickmacross, Monaghan, sued the uninsured driver of the car, Gavin Brady, of Clonseady, Carrickmacross, and the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland arising out of the accident on November 9, 2004, when she was 15.The settlement was made without admission of liability.

Gas leak woman recovering

A WOMAN is recovering at home after being treated in hospital following a suspected carbon-monoxide leak in a popular hotel, writes Ralph Riegel.

Patricia Reidy (37) has been discharged from Cork University Hospital where she was treated for 10 days after being found unconscious in an upstairs bedroom of the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork on January 9, 2011. Her sister Miriam (35), died after attempts to revive her failed.

Irish Independent