| 11.1°C Dublin

Left-wing TD Clare Daly granted temporary release from Limerick prison after 90 minutes


Independent TDs Mick Wallace and Clare Daly

Independent TDs Mick Wallace and Clare Daly

Independent TDs Mick Wallace and Clare Daly

UNITED Left TD Clare Daly has been released from Limerick Prison after less than 90 minutes.

Deputy Daly was driven by Gardai from Swords Garda Station in Dublin to the Limerick jail arriving in an unmarked silver Hyundai 140 at 9.15pm.

She was released at 10.35pm.

Deputy Daly was the second TD brought to Limerick Prison on Wednesday to serve a 30-day prison sentence.

The TD, along with Dail colleague Mick Wallace were fined €2,000 each for a breach of security at Shannon Airport in 2014, they both vowed not to pay.

Deputy Wallace spend just two hours in Limerick prison before he was granted temporary release.

Speaking after her brief period in jail Deputy Daly remained defiant about the validity of her actions in Shannon Airport last year.

"The gas thing is I heard people commenting earlier on, 'do they think that we as law markers should be breaking the law?'

"I have never heard the likes of Leo Varadakar talk about the illegality being engaged in by this State in breaching our neutrality, and we think we have a responsibility under the Nuremberg principles when we see an injustice being done.

"Not only do we have a legal obligation to speak out, we have a legal right an obligation to speak out against that and that's what we have tried to do along with other activist in Shannon Watch in relation to the ongoing use of Shannon."

Deputy Wallace said she was given time to say goodbye to her daughter and pack a bag before she was brought to Limerick prison.

She said she is planning to return to Dublin.

Mr Wallace was arrested by appointment today in Clontarf at 11:30am before being driven to the prison by two gardaí.

On arrival, he shouted to an assembled crowd : “It probably wont be as bad for me as it is for the people in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.”

He had earlier spoken in the Dáil on education issues.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Before leaving Dublin, Mr Wallace travelled the short distance to his home and collected a bag of clothes and a number of books.

Despite being handed a 30-day sentence for the non-payment of a €2,000 fine, Mr Wallace was put on temporary release just before 4.30pm.

Prison sources emphasised that in cases of non-payment of fines, those convicted are often released within a number of hours depending on the circumstances.

After his release, Mr Wallace claimed he has no intention of paying the fine, which was issued to both he and Ms Daly for breaching security at Shannon Airport in July 2014. The pair used a rope to scale the fence in order to inspect US aircraft using the airport to refuel.

Most Watched