Sunday 18 February 2018

Killers of Gareth Hutch captured on CCTV - with gardai now on alert for gunman seeking revenge

Hutch spoke of fears he would be a target just 24 hours earlier

Gunmen caught on CCTV firing the shots which killed Gareth Hutch, inset
Gunmen caught on CCTV firing the shots which killed Gareth Hutch, inset

Ken Foy, Robin Schiller and Alan O'Keeffe

Gardaí were last night on high alert that a close associate of murdered Gareth Hutch was armed, dangerous and seeking revenge.

An alert was issued to all garda districts that the man was "seeking out" the killers who blasted Gareth Hutch (35) in broad daylight at Avondale House flats yesterday morning.

A source warned: "He is armed with a gun, hunting them down."

One man handed himself in to gardaí at Mountjoy Garda Station in fear of his life. Another man was still on the run last night.

But tensions in the capital remained on a knife edge amid fears that the murderous Kinahan-Hutch feud was about to explode into even more bloodshed.

Read more: Gardaí probing link between former senior officer and Kinahan cartel

An armed checkpoint was just 200 metres from the apartment complex when yesterday's murder was carried out.

One of the suspects lives "just around the corner" in the same area of the north inner city where four feud murders have happened in just over three months.

Gardaí launched a number of raids in the area in the hours after yesterday's lethal shooting.

The nephew of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch was shot dead shortly before 10am when two gunmen approached him as he walked towards his black Volkswagen Passat.

CCTV footage shows the two murderers sneaking up behind Hutch, who was getting into his car outside his home.

His uncle, Eddie Hutch, and cousin, Gary Hutch, have already been killed in the feud.

The murder was carried out by the Kinahan drug cartel and is the fourth within a square mile in the north inner city in 100 days.

It's believed that the gunmen were lying in wait for Hutch at the flat complex and approached him from behind.

Read more: Paul Williams: This unequal gang war was always going to lead to a bloodbath

The killers then proceeded to fire a number of shots from what were described as handguns. Gardaí say two firearms have since been recovered.

The two gunmen jumped into a black BMW 5 series car. The bungling assassins then attempted to start the car twice, but eventually had to flee the area on foot, leaving the vehicle behind. The two men, one wearing a grey hoodie and the other a red tracksuit top, then fled in the direction of Seán McDermott Street.

The murder victim's cousin Ross Hutch (24) reportedly arrived at the scene moments after the killers had struck.

But at that stage the two killers had dropped their handguns and fled the scene.

Armed gardai at the scene of a raid on a house only hours after Gareth Hutch was shot dead
Armed gardai at the scene of a raid on a house only hours after Gareth Hutch was shot dead

A second car that the killers used to escape, a Skoda Octavia, was later found by gardaí, burned out at Dubber Lane in Finglas.

Gareth Hutch, a father of one, had warned that he was in fear of his life less than 24 hours before his assassination.

Shocked city councillor Nial Ring recounted his meeting with the victim on Monday regarding his wish to move to a more secure flat within the Avondale House council flats complex.

"He was on the first floor where there was access to a balcony from the side, which wasn't covered by CCTV. He felt this was putting him in more danger," he said.

"He was obviously a very dedicated and very devoted father as his concern was for the little guy."

Read more: Tom Brady: Sheer madness of Government decision to stop garda recruitment now laid bare

Mr Ring said both he and councillor Christy Burke were now offering to be mediators to try to bring the violence to an end.

Gareth Hutch was originally from Drumalee Avenue in Dublin's north inner city and was previously cleared of attempted robbery charges.

The charges related to an incident when criminal Gareth Molloy (27) was shot dead by a member of the Garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU) during a raid by a gang on a security van delivering cash to a supermarket in Lucan in May, 2009.

The murder victim's cousin, Derek 'Del Boy' Hutch, was convicted in relation to this crime.

After being extradited from Holland to face the charges in September, 2014, Hutch then spent almost 15 months in Cloverhill Prison, before being cleared of the charges last December.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone who may have seen the two gunmen leaving the car park to contact them.

They are also appealing for anyone who witnessed the black BMW 5 series, with a 02-D-39051 registration plate.

The car and another vehicle have been seized by gardaí.

Read more: There's a very easy way to destroy murderous drugs gangs for good

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News