Saturday 24 March 2018

Killer gas suspected in man's death

(stock photo)
(stock photo)

Ryan Nugent

A man in his 70s has died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a house in Waterford.

Gardaí were called to the scene at a home in Connolly Place in the city centre at approximately 8pm last night.

The man was pronounced dead a short time later, and the scene was preserved for forensic examination.

Gas Networks Ireland said that they were asked to attend the scene by the Waterford Fire Service at around 6.20pm and have confirmed that it was not related to natural gas.

"While the cause of the incident is unknown, we can confirm that it is not related to natural gas.

"Gas Networks Ireland crew attended on site and assisted the emergency services with their operations," read the statement.

A Garda spokesman confirmed that there was currently an investigation into the sudden death of a man in his 70s at a house in Connolly Place, Waterford.

"Local fire services alerted gardaí to the scene shortly after 8pm [last night]. The man was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later," the Garda spokesperson said.

"His body will be removed to the mortuary at University Hospital Waterford for a post-mortem examination."

"The scene is preserved for technical examination," he added.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News