Monday 11 December 2017

Kidnapped tycoon was threatened with a gun several times, says brother

Kevin McGeever
Kevin McGeever

Niall O’Connor

MILLIONAIRE property developer Kieran McGeever had a gun held to his head by his kidnappers several times, according to his brother.

Mr McGeever (68) claims to have been held captive for eight months by a gang of men.

His brother Brendan said today that the gang communicated with him using notes and threatened to shoot him several times.

“Everything was written down. They wrote down everything. They handed him paper to write. He didn't see any of them, their faces were covered. He could only see their eyes. They handed him notes to write and to look at,” he said.

“[The notes said] you have two more days to live. That was it and they put a gun to his forehead one time. He said 'alright do it now, I'm at peace with my God, I'm ready'. That happened quite a few times. It wasn't just the once,” he added.

Mr McGeever is continuing to receive treatment in hospital today - more than a week after he was allegedly dumped by a gang of men on the side of a country road.

Gardai are continuing to investigate what exactly happened to the Galway businessman since he went missing from his home eight months ago.

Mr McGeever has told officers that he was abducted from his luxury mansion in Craughwell on May 27 last year by a gang who demanded a multi-million euro ransom.

Speaking today, his brother Brendan McGeever described his desperate physical condition since being found.

“When I walked into the room in the hospital and when I saw this guy lying on the bed - for a guy that I knew that looked impeccable all the time, physically he was about 14 stone, good-looking man, in prime condition, never overweight, never smoked in his life ever.

“He looked like I would say, a weather-beaten 90-year-old man, just released from concentration camp. That's what I had seen. “

He added: “I couldn't believe it. He shook hands with me, he knew me. He was able to speak. His voice was good. And when I shook his hand it was like shaking the hand of a child.”

The 68-year-old weighs between seven and eight stone and is in a frail condition.

His brother admitted that family members now have fears surrounding the condition of his organs.

And he said he does not know whether his brother will fully recover.

“Nobody can say 'oh yeah you'll be great in a month’s time or two months’ time'. I think it will be a long time, if ever … Recovery is going to be a long time, if ever, that's my honest belief.”

Mr McGeever told family he was abducted by a group of men driving a Hiace van, held in an underground container and weighed just seven stone when discovered wandering at the side of a rural road on Co Leitrim.

He also said he was held in a shipping freight container, given plastic sheeting to keep warm and subjected to physical abuse.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News