Thursday 19 September 2019

Keep your paws off: Dog owners warned over dangers of Easter eggs

Puppies Sasha and Sunflower, helping remind people this Easter that chocolate is highly toxic to dogs. Photo: Fran Veale
Puppies Sasha and Sunflower, helping remind people this Easter that chocolate is highly toxic to dogs. Photo: Fran Veale
Rachel Farrell

Rachel Farrell

Pet owners are being advised to avoid leaving Easter eggs where their canine friends can reach them this weekend, as chocolate is highly toxic to dogs.

Dogs Trust said the Easter weekend can be a "recipe for disaster" if dogs get their paws on chocolate eggs.

Eight-week-old puppy Spike. Photo: Fran Veale
Eight-week-old puppy Spike. Photo: Fran Veale

Dogs Trust veterinary surgeon Desré Daly said that dogs should never be allowed to eat chocolate intended for human consumption, which can have potentially tragic consequences.

"It is the theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, which can be toxic to dogs. An individual dog's sensitivity to chocolate is variable and depending on their body weight (and the type of chocolate ingested), even just a small bite of chocolate can make some dogs very sick, and in significant enough quantities, death could result," Ms Daly said.

"When a dog eats chocolate, the theobromine metabolises more slowly than it does in humans. Theobromine interferes with the normal functioning of the central nervous system, heart and kidneys."

Ms Daly warned without appropriate and timely treatment, it could lead to death. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, drooling, excessive thirst, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, tremors and potential seizures. Dogs Trust said keep your chocolate in a safe place and if any of your egg is missing, contact your vet straight away.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News