Kate's family 'to seek judicial review'
THE parents of PR executive Kate Fitzgerald are to explore the possibility of seeking a judicial review into the finding by an inquest that she took her own life.
Speaking yesterday, they expressed their disappointment with the inquest and the manner in which it had been conducted. Kate's father, Tom, said he and his wife Sally would be consulting with their solicitors on the matter tomorrow.
Only last December, a Lithuanian man who died from a gunshot wound to the head in 2009 was the subject of a second inquest at Dublin County Coroner's Court. While the court's initial inquiry into the death of Marius Simanaitis had determined he had died by suicide, that verdict was later quashed in the High Court following a judicial review brought by his brother Donatas.
The family of Kate Fitzgerald were left devastated by the untimely death of their daughter in August 2011 and have been seeking answers into the circumstances surrounding her passing ever since.
Ms Fitzgerald, 25, was found hanging from a wardrobe at her home at Harty Place in Dublin 8 by two friends on August 23, 2011.
Last Thursday, the family's upset was compounded even further when the jury at the inquest into her death at Dublin Coroner's Court returned a verdict of death by suicide. Summing up the evidence prior to the jury's decision, Coroner Dr Brian Farrell said that no one else had been involved in Ms Fitzgerald's death.
State pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy had earlier ruled out any third-party involvement and said Ms Fitzgerald died as a result of hanging.
In a lengthy statement yesterday, Kate's parents were highly critical of the processes that had been followed by the various authorities involved in the investigation of their daughter's death.
"Kate's family will continue to fight. We do not want this to happen to any other family," the statement said.