PERSONAL details relating to tens of thousands of jobseekers may have been compromised following a security breach at a recruitment website.
It is understood that the breach only came to light as part of a wider garda investigation that involved the seizure of computer equipment.
Detectives discovered information on the computers relating to users of Myjob.ie and contacted the website.
Gardai would yesterday offer no information on the incident other than to say two people had been arrested for questioning and have since been released on bail.
A file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
However, Gary Davis, deputy data protection commissioner, said staff at his office were working off scant information and were still trying to piece together what had happened.
"It is unsatisfactory that people don't know if they have been affected by this or when it happened. My understanding is that it didn't happen in the past couple of days but it happened before that," he added.
The office was informed of the breach by Myjob.ie late on Thursday, however it was not given any specific details.
"We don't have anything to go on. We're reaching out to the Myjob.ie people...and we're trying to get the gardai to establish a bit more," said Mr Davis.
Myjob.ie describes itself as a "pro-active recruitment service" that matches people to jobs. Jobseekers provide personal information including their name, contact details and CV.
They also set a personal password that is used to access the website and can decide if their information is accessible to employers or recruitment agencies or neither.
Company director John Doupe sent an email to users informing them of a "recent" security breach of its servers and said this had been quickly identified.
"Although Myjob.ie was not the primary source of the breach, as a precautionary measure we would ask all users to immediately change their password," he said.