News Irish News

Wednesday 21 March 2018

'It's like a nightmare' - Heartbreak as boy (2) dies after choking on toast

Stock picture
Stock picture

Catherine Devine and Greg Harkin

A two-year-old boy died after choking on a piece of toast at his home in Donegal.

Little Ricky Devine-McGinley (2) died after a freak accident at the home of a close relative on Saturday August 20 at around 1pm, gardai confirmed.

The boy was rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital
The boy was rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital

He was rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital where he passed away a short time later.

Parents Gerard McGinley and Ceara Devine have been left distraught, Fr Adrian McGavigan told Donegal Democrat.

“A terrible tragedy has fallen on the parish and the whole community,” he said.

“They (the family) are just devastated and all of the community has been gripped with grief.

“They are surrounded by a big family and their friends, and they are supporting them the best way they can.

“It is like a nightmare that we would like to awaken out of, but unfortunately it is so real and so sad.

“People are bewildered just trying to figure out why. News like this travels so quick and makes the whole place sombre. It has put a cloud over the whole community.”

The death has been described as a "tragic accident".

Last night a large crowd of mourners gathered at the family home at Moyle Hill in Milford to comfort the family.

The boy's funeral takes place at St Peter’s Church in Milford this Wednesday followed by burial at Tully Graveyard.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News