Sunday 18 August 2019

'It'll never happen again' - Owner of takeaway with 'pond of human excrement' apologises to customers

Amy Molloy

Amy Molloy

The owner of an Indian takeaway that was temporarily closed after a "pond of human excrement" was found on the premises has apologised to customers, saying: "That was a very bad moment for me".

Saffron restaurant and takeway in Creeslough, Co Donegal, was closed down on October 18 following an inspection by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland.

The takeway was found to be in breach of a number of health and safety regulations.

These included "human excrement overflowing in a ponding area beside the potato peeler" and "dead flies floating in oil used to baste pizza dough", according to the FSAI report.

It reopened on October 27 and owner, Balinder Kumar, said all regulations are now being complied with.

"I would like to say sorry," Mr Kumar told

"When this happened, me and the manager were out of the country for a few weeks. First of all I was told about that human waste issue. By chance, that day, the drain got blocked and it was our bad luck. Now we have sorted this. We stopped making chips there and now we get prepacked chips.

"We have fulfilled all the requirements of the FSAI now. Last week and this week a health inspector was here. They are now satisfied. I again apologise for what happened and I would like to make sure that it will never happen again."

A snippet of the report

The closure report also outlined how "dirt, mould and encrusted food" were found throughout the premises.

Meanwhile, three other businesses in Tipperary and Cork were also forced to temporarily close after being reprimanded by the FSAI in October.

New York Pizza in Ballina, Co Tipperary was closed for four days from 27 October for a succession of hygiene violations which “posed a risk of contamination to food prepared and stored on the premises”.

Beijing Taste Buffet in Cork city was shut for three days due to the "prolific evidence of rodent droppings noted throughout the kitchen".

“All of the above lead to a grave and immediate danger to public health and the risk of contamination of food with pathogenic bacteria and foreign matter, such as rodent droppings,” the order reads.

Dr Pamela Byrne, the FSAI’s Chief Executive said it was “disappointing” to see four closure orders.

“Unfortunately there continues to be a small number of food businesses not complying with their legal requirements.  Food businesses must recognise that they are legally bound to ensure that the food they serve is safe to eat.”

You can read the full reports here

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News