'It really means so much that your own people are backing you' - Murder victim Jason Corbett's sister releases heartfelt statement
The sister of murdered Jason Corbett says it doesn't matter what Molly Martens and her father said, or say, because "they are convicted killers and liars".
Tracey Lynch and her husband David have released a hard hitting statement online after an interview by Molly Martens Corbett (33) and her 67-year-old father Thomas was aired on US television.
Members of the Martens family have also started an online fundraising campaign to help with their legal costs and to also "fight the wrongful death suit".
Last week the pair were found guilty of the second degree murder of Limerick man Jason (39) at a court in Lexington, North Carolina.
In a statement, released online this afternoon, Jason's sister Tracey and her husband David said it does not matter what the Martens say any more and they revealed that they now just want to "get back to some normality".
The couple, who adopted Jason's children from a previous marriage, explained: "We all now know what happened. That Jason was beaten around his head when in bed. That they continued to beat him after he died. Jason's children, Jack and Sarah, had to be sheltered by police from seeing what the Martens had done to their father."
The Lynchs were in Lexington during the trial and they said that when they heard the verdicts last Wednesday, their first thoughts went to Jason's children.
- Read more: Molly Martens' family claim brick on her nightstand was for children's 'art project', question evidence to jury
- Read more: Stunning blonde with golden future that ended in 'cruel, barbaric and heinous' killing of Jason
"Their Daddy was now vindicated. We rang them to tell them the news. Our priority after the trial and sentencing was to get home to them as quickly as possible. We were never as anxious to get on a flight as we were on Thursday. We wanted to talk to Jack and Sarah, and our own children and just hug them and hold them tight."
They recalled their joyous reunion in Limerick and thanked the people of the city for the support they received.
"When we got home on Saturday, Jack and Sarah and our own children were waiting for us with little flags and banners to welcome us.
"We are grateful to the people of Limerick for the fundraising that they did to help us get Jack and Sarah home and to help us fight to clear Jason's reputation.
"We thank them for the thousands of acts of kindness to us, to our parents and other family members. We are grateful for the masses, the cards, the prayers and everything else they did for us.
"It really means so much that your own people are backing you during a horrible time."
The couple also confirmed that they will not be doing any media interviews at this time.
"We have missed out on too much time with our own children, and with Jack and Sarah, as a family. School is back in a few weeks and we intend to use the time before then to try and get back to some normality."