Thursday 18 January 2018

Irish doctor forfeits bail of €125,000 after fleeing US child abuse charges

Tim Healy

AN Irish doctor who is facing extradition to the US on child molestation charges has absconded while on bail, forfeiting €100,000 put up by his 89-year-old mother.

Rory Doyle (56) was in the process of appealing a High Court order for his extradition in the Supreme Court when he disappeared late last year.

Yesterday Mr Justice Michael Peart ordered that €125,000 -- comprising his own bond of €25,000 and an independent surety of €100,000 -- be forfeited to the State.

The €100,000 was put up by Dolye's mother Maura Doyle (89), who he lived with in Donnybrook, Co Dublin. However, the judge said that he was satisfied from the evidence that the money belonged to Doyle and not his mother.

When contacted by the Irish Independent yesterday, Ms Doyle said that she did not wish to comment on the loss. In January 2010, the High Court ordered that Doyle, who changed his name to David West by deed poll in 2004, be surrendered to the state of Florida.

He is wanted on three charges of child molestation and a fourth of failing to turn up for his trial on those charges in Florida in November 2001 Doyle denied the charge of molesting two girls, then aged eight and 13, while they were asleep in bed.

The offences were alleged to have occurred at Treasure Island, Florida, on dates between September 1994 and February 1995 and at St Petersburg, Florida, in July 2000.

Doyle, who also has an address at Sallins Bridge, Sallins, Co Kildare, appealed the decision to extradite him. The appeal was listed before the Supreme Court last February.

Following his arrest in 2009 he was on bail, subject to conditions which included the surrender of his passport and his continued residence in Donnybrook. He was required to sign on daily with gardai.

In December 2011, Doyle was granted the return of his passport to allow him to travel to England with his mother for one week over the Christmas period.


He was excused from signing on from December 21 to 29. Mr Justice Peart said that Ms Doyle did not travel to the UK and spent the holidays in a Cork hotel.

The judge said Ms Doyle returned home on December 29, 2011, to find her son had gone.

When he did not return by January 2, she phoned Donnybrook garda station in early January.

She was assured the matter would be followed up, the judge noted.

Gardai then called to her home to make enquiries about her son on January 27, 2012. A warrant was issued for Doyle's arrest but he has not been located, the judge said.

The judge criticised garda conduct in the case.

Mr Justice Peart said the garda extradition unit was not informed by Donnybrook gardai that Doyle did not sign on from December 29 onwards as required. Nothing was done, the judge said, until almost a month later.

He said what happened "points up a serious defect and weakness in the system" and "also reflects badly on Ireland".

He added that there seemed to be no system in place in garda stations or a requirement to immediately notify those in charge that a person had failed to sign on.

The judge said he had no doubt Doyle "had manipulated and used" his mother in a "callous fashion" by involving her as an independent surety.

He said that she was blameless in her son's absconding.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News