Irish clubber (24) fights for life after violent attack in Liverpool
Two teenagers are currently being held on suspicion of assault
An Irishman has been left fighting for his life following a vicious assault in Liverpool in the early hours of Saturday.
The man, believed to be from north Cork, was set upon after he was led down an alleyway near the Concert Square in the Liverpool city centre shortly after 2am.
He was discovered in the lane between the Walkabout Bar and the Level nightclub
The 24-year-old suffered serious head injuries as a result of the attack and was rushed to the city's Royal Liverpool Universal Hospital following the incident, where he remains in a critical condition.
The incident occurred near Lloyds Bar, owned by British pub chain JD Whetherspoon.
The area was cordoned off for a technical examination of the scene, and CCTV was being studied around the vicinity of the attack.
Police believe that the Irish man, who Liverpool police aren't naming, was assaulted following an altercation with two males earlier in the night.
Two teenagers, both aged 19, presented themselves to local police yesterday following the incident.
They were subsequently arrested on suspicion of assault, and were last night continuing to be questioned.
Merseyside police are also interested in talking to three women who were in the area at the time of the assault and who may provide "vital information" in relation to the assault.
"Having viewed CCTV from the area we would also urge three women who were in the vicinity of the alleyway at this time to also get in touch as we believe they will have information vital to our investigation," Detective Inspector Matthew Kerr stated.
The footage is believed to show the victim being led down the alleyway moments before being seriously assaulted.
He described the incident as a "nasty attack" on the young Cork native, who had simply been trying to "enjoy a night out".
"He sustained serious injuries as a result of the attack and is currently in a critical condition in hospital," he said.
"Concert Square was particularly busy at the time.
"An investigation into the full circumstances of the incident is on-going," Detective Inspector Kerr added.
It is not known if the victim was over in the city as a tourist to attend the Liverpool versus Blackburn Rovers match yesterday afternoon, or whether he had been working there.
"I'd also like to reassure people that incidents like this are rare and neighbourhood officers will be increasing patrols in the area," Mr Kerr said.
It is understood that the man is currently being treated at the Walton Centre NHS foundation at the Royal Liverpool Hospital which specialises in head injuries.