News Irish abroad

Sunday 17 December 2017

Our baby nearly died due to faulty air-con unit in our villa, says Irish family

AN Irish family has warned that “thousands of babies” are sleeping in rooms with the same faulty air conditioning units that almost killed their six-month-old daughter Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Soffe sustained severe burns to 60pc of her body in a fire in Doha, Qatar, seven weeks ago.

A police report into the incident has revealed the fire was started by a damaged air conditioning system in her family’s rented villa. 

Elizabeth’s parents, Sinead and Liam Soffe, are from Dublin. They moved to Doha three years ago and Liam works as an engineer there.

The couple claimed they raised concerns about the property’s air conditioning with management company Al Asmakh Real Estate. 

Sinead Soffe sent an email to the company on May 17th.

The email read: "The a/c unit in our master bedroom is leaking water. It needs to be fixed as a priority as our small baby sleeps there."

A maintenance worker came to fix the system - but 12 days after Ms Soffe sent the email, the fire occurred on May 29th.

It left baby Elizabeth, who has two brothers and a sister, fighting for her life.

Previously, the couple told how Sinead had just put the infant down for a nap when the fire occurred.

Yesterday, the couple appealed for other families to have their wiring “checked independently by a qualified electrician.”

“Please don’t let this happen to another family,” they added.

Elizabeth has since been transferred to a hospital in Birmingham where she is continuing her recovery.

A Facebook page has been set up to raise funds for her treatment.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News