Intended target blames Hutch gang hitmen for Ballymun attack
- Hitmen connected to Hutch gang blamed for Ballymun attack
- Intended target's associates do not think gruesome attack was part of Ballymun feud
- Major garda investigation continuing into last week's shocking double murder
Two hitmen connected to the deadly Hutch mob are being blamed for the bloodbath in Ballymun which left two innocent victims dead.
Associates of the intended target - Derek 'Bottler' Devoy - have blamed the killings on a north inner city hit team that had been planning to murder the 37-year-old career criminal.
It means his associates do not think the gruesome gun attack was part of the bitter Ballymun feud that saw a number of violent incidents in the 36 hours before the murders.
However, gardai think otherwise and continue to link the murders to the feud.
"Bottler's crew firmly believe that the fellas that carried out this are from the north inner city," a source said last night.
"They don't care what the cops think."
The Herald can reveal that, among the two criminals being blamed by Devoy's gang, is the chief suspect for the 2014 slaying of Bottler's brother, Michael 'Mad Mickey' Devoy (41). He was murdered shortly after his release from Portlaoise Prison.
His body was riddled with bullets before it was discovered on the side of the road in Bohernabreena late on the night of January 18, 2014.
The military-trained hitman, aged in his mid-20s, is also a suspect in the Hutch/Kinahan feud murder of Michael Keogh.
He was murdered by the Hutch mob in the capital's north inner city in May.
A senior source told the Herald: "This 'gun for hire' is a heavy hitter in terms of organised crime and he has close links to a number of gangs, including both sides of the feud.
"He is involved in extortion, debt collection and is associated with Provos in the north inner city."
The other suspected hitman has been closely monitored by gardai.
They believe he could be used at a "minute's notice" to carry out the murder of a rival Kinahan cartel member.
Aged in his 40s, he has been out of prison since 2013.
He served a lengthy sentence after being busted following a major surveillance operation by the gardai's Organised Crime Unit.
A major garda investigation is continuing into last week's shocking double murder.
The two victims - mum-of-six Antoinette Corbally (48) and her friend Clinton Shannon (30) - were riddled with bullets as the hitmen emptied their magazines into them, the post-mortem examinations established.
Also injured in the gun attack in Balbutcher Drive, Balymun, were an 18-year-old relative and an innocent passer-by.
Armed gardai have been closely monitoring the intended target of the double murder as tensions remain on a knife-edge in the north Dublin suburb.