News Irish News

Sunday 21 January 2018

'In some ways I hope it is Barry that has been found' - family of missing man speak out after dismembered body found in suitcase

Conor Feehan, Paul Williams, Louise Kelly & Adam Cullen

The family of missing man Barry Corcoran have said that they would like to know the truth of what happened to him, even if the news was bad.

Their comments follow the discovery of a dismembered body in a suitcase in the canal at Ardclough Village in Co. Kildare yesterday afternoon.

The discovery was made at around 3.30pm in an area close to where gardai searched last summer for the missing Wicklow man.

This morning Barry's brother William said he has not heard anything from gardai since the discovery was made, and he does not know if the remains found are those of Barry.

He said he could not comment on anything until he knows more.

Ever since Barry went missing last July William has said his family would like to know the truth of what happened to him, even if the news was bad.

Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor
Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor
Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor

"In some ways I hope it is Barry that has been found, in other ways I hope it's not," he told Independent.ie.

A number of young men walking along the canal yesterday saw the container and upon opening it discovered a dismembered body.

The passers-by saw a dark-coloured container floating in the water at the thirteenth lock on the canal section known as Archer's Walkway.

Independent.ie understands that just a torso has been discovered in the suitcase.

The body is wrapped in plastic and while garda think it is that of a male, they say will be a number of hours before they confirm this.

Said a source: "We do not know for certain yet if it is a male. The process of unwrapping the body parts will take a while because it is important to collect whatever forensic evidence we can.

Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor
Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor
Gardaí at scene where body was recovered from canal Photo: Douglas O'Connor

 Asked about the manner in which the body was disposed of, William said he couldn't comment until the identity of the body is confirmed.

 "It's hard to know what sort of people are out there that could do something like this to anyone," he said.

A number of garda search teams assisted by the Garda Water Unit and the Garda Dog Unit are continuing to carry out extensive searches in the water and along the canal banks.

Garda divers are preparing to do a detailed search of the canal bed in the hope of finding any other body parts and a murder weapon.

Last night, the scene was sealed off and preserved pending a technical examination and the body remained at the scene.

Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis arrived at the scene this morning and a preliminary examination has taken place.

The remains has now been removed from the scene and the postmortem will take place at Naas General Hospital.

A case conference is due to take place later today when the results of the postmortem become available.

Until then, the nationality of the man will not be confirmed, or the details as to where and when he died - or how long the partial remains had been in the canal.

Dad-of-one Barry Corcoran was last seen on Cremona Road in Ballyfermot, on the night of Monday, July 6.

Family members raised the alarm after the 39-year-old disappeared, leaving his phone and passport at home.

Gardai have previously investigated whether Mr Corcoran, from Wicklow town, was murdered by a west Dublin crime gang over a drugs debt.

Story is developing...

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News