News Irish News

Thursday 26 April 2018

In Brief: Man in his 70s is killed after being kicked by a horse near his home

AN elderly man was killed after he was kicked by a horse. The tragedy occurred early yesterday close to the man's home in the village of Broadford in east Co Clare.

The man, named locally as Tony Marsh, was in his 70s and is understood to have been in a field close to his home when the tragedy occurred. It's believed he had been breaking in a horse at the time of the accident.

Timmy Dooley, Clare Fianna Fail TD and a personal friend, said: "I'm still deeply shocked by the news of Tony's untimely death. He was a great community man and a keen horseman who was well known, particularly in riding and hunting circles, all over the county."

MCKILLENS' GREEN LIGHT FOR NEW VENUE

PROPERTY tycoon Paddy McKillen and his family have got the green light from An Bord Pleanala to press ahead with a new bar and restaurant on Dublin's Dawson Street.

Located in the former Twohigs Travel, the venue will employ 25 people once it opens and is set to cater to an "older crowd" with "high quality" dining promised.

And the McKillen family's plan for a boutique hotel on Harcourt Street are proceeding. Due to open in April 2014, the Dean Hotel will employ 80 people.

NO WINNER OF €2M LOTTO JACKPOT

TheRE was no winner of last night's €2m Lotto jackpot. The numbers were 12, 18, 24, 29, 34, 45 (bonus 30).

There were no Match 5+bonus winners; 34 Match 5s (€1,885); 107 Match 4+bonus winners (€150); 1,720 Match 4s (€58); 2,767 Match 3+ (€24); and 29,397 Match 3s (€5). The Lotto Plus 1 numbers were 9, 10, 15, 30, 31, 44 (bonus 24) and the Lotto Plus 2 saw 6, 13, 17, 18, 31, 38 (bonus 5).

In the UK draw for £5.9m, the numbers were 1, 3, 17, 19, 39, 42 (bonus 31).

BETHANY SURVIVORS FURIOUS AT SNUB

SURVIVORS of the Protestant Bethany care home are furious that the Dail term ended without their case for redress from the State being resolved.

"Have we been conned again?" asked Derek Linster of the Bethany Homes survivors group last night. "They are off on their holidays for eight weeks while we wait for justice," he added. The small group of 15 survivors have long argued for inclusion in the State's redress scheme on the basis they fulfilled the criteria for inclusion, but have so far been denied satisfaction by successive governments.

In the wake of the State apology to Magdalene women, Justice Minister Alan Shatter met with Mr Linster and fellow survivors and promised to re-examine the issue. He is to bring his decision to Cabinet on Tuesday.

WOMEN HELD OVER STABBING RELEASED

TWO women arrested in Dublin over the stabbing of a man on Friday were released from custody yesterday.

The 37-year-old man was stabbed at about 9.50pm on Aston Quay in Dublin city at the junction of Price's Lane. He was taken to St James's Hospital for treatment. The two women, who are both in their 30s, were later released from custody and a file is being sent to the DPP.

MAN RECOVERING FROM IBIZA KNIFING

AN IRISHMAN was recovering in hospital last night after being stabbed in Ibiza.

Darren Higgins, 22, was found just before 4am yesterday after an incident in San Antonio. Medics said he suffered multiple wounds to his head and stomach.

OIREACHTAS BUDGET SPARED BIG CUTS

THE Government may be planning to hit the voters with €3.1bn of cuts and taxes, but the Dail Estimates of Expenditure for 2014 indicates the wolf of austerity will be kept far away from the doors of the Dail.

The Estimates reveal that the €109,032,000 budget for running the Oireachtas in 2013 will be reduced by a mere €690,000, or less than one per cent in 2014. And in some areas, expenditure will actually increase for politicians.

The travel and accommodation allowance for TDs and senators will increase marginally.

ORANGE PARADE PASSES OFF PEACEFULLY

A POTENTIAL flashpoint Orange Order parade in north Belfast passed off without incident yesterday.

Several thousand marchers were again prevented by police from passing the nationalist Ardoyne area. During the July 12 parade, Orangemen attacked police, triggering almost a week of serious street disorder.

MURDER INQUIRY INTO KANE'S DEATH

GARDAI have launched a murder inquiry into the violent death of dissident republican Larry Kane. The 56-year-old was found seriously injured at St John's Lane in Athy, Co Kildare, shortly before midnight last Thursday.

He was taken to Naas General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

CUTBACKS 'WILL CLOSE GP PRACTICES'

A DOCTORS' representative body yesterday claimed that government cutbacks would put 10 practices across the country out of business.

The National Association of General Practitioners (NGAP) said "the walls are caving in" on family doctors. CEO Chris Goodey said there was increasing pressure on family doctors, many of whom were suffering financially and had been forced to let staff go. Latest figures show a 33 per cent reduction in the provision of services for medical cards holders over the past three years.

Doctors overworked in hospitals, Page 15

WARNING OVER UNSUPERVISED BEACHES

BEACH lovers have been urged to only swim at beaches that are supervised by lifeguards. The warning comes after 10 people lost their lives in Irish waters since the heatwave began more than a week ago.

Irish Water Safety chief John Leech said: "Go to bathing areas, swim with other swimmers and hopefully a trained life saver because there are tens of thousands of people who have done Irish Water Safety life-saving courses."

SINN FEIN BLASTS SEANAD APPOINTMENT

SINN Fein's Seanad leader, Sen David Cullinane, yesterday called the Taoiseach's Seanad appointment of Galway FG councillor Hildegarde Naughton "a cynical move".

"This is the Taoiseach who promised political reform – but now he makes a political appointment to keep the Fine Gael numbers up, and to have a go at those in his party who didn't toe the line," he said.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News