Sunday 18 February 2018

'I'll never see my kids again' - Neighbours describe distress of man who died after crash

General view of gardai at scene of Volvo car crashed at laneway behind Greenhills Community College, beside Temple Manor Close. Photo: Caroline Quinn
General view of gardai at scene of Volvo car crashed at laneway behind Greenhills Community College, beside Temple Manor Close. Photo: Caroline Quinn
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

A man who collapsed and died after crashing into a metal barrier and running into a housing estate, feared he was being chased by criminals.

Daniel Morris (35) pleaded for help and said he would never see his children again.

The man, from Allenton Drive, Tallaght, drove his Volvo car onto a green area off Limekiln Avenue, Greenhills, Dublin, before the vehicle crashed into a set of railings shortly after 9pm on Friday.

He then ran from the car, into the nearby Temple Manor estate.

Locals then reported Mr Morris being in a distressed state banging on doors in a panic.

At the end of Temple Manor Drive Mr Morris ran into one house when the owner opened the door.

"He was very distressed, and was saying 'I'll never see my kids again' and 'they're going to shoot me', but there didn't appear to be anyone after him," said one local resident in the estate.

"Then he ran out the door. We would have preferred if he stayed. He was very anxious," they added.

Mr Morris then ran into the house next door where Davina Byrne answered.

"I let him in, and I'm glad I did. He was terrorised. I really feel for his family," she said. "He was shouting 'let me in' and 'someone's after me, they have guns' and he didn't want me to open the door once he was in.

"Then he collapsed in the hall and was clutching at his heart. He was terrified. The gardaí arrived at that stage, and the ambulance."

Other neighbours reported seeing paramedics working for a long time on Mr Morris before he was taken away in an ambulance to Tallaght Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

A post-mortem examination was due to be carried out yesterday.

One man said he had heard locally that Mr Morris had been bleeding from one ear, possibly as a result of sustaining a head injury when he crashed the car.

A large number of family, friends and neighbours yesterday gathered at Mr Morris's home to console his family, but they declined to comment on the incident when asked.

Investigators are trying to piece together Mr Morris's last movements before the crash.

Toxicology tests will form a crucial role in the investigation to see if Mr Morris may have been under the influence of any substances at the time of the incident.

The matter has been referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission, as gardaí were present when Mr Morris collapsed.

A statement from An Garda Síochána said: "Gardaí were required to arrest and restrain (the man).

"As he was being removed from the house he became unresponsive and medical assistance was called. He was taken to Tallaght Hospital and was later pronounced dead."

They are appealing for witnesses.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News