| 13.4°C Dublin

Ice plants shut down

Trawler captains have been told that ice plants at three of the country's main fishing ports have been ordered to close because of health and safety concerns.

Bord Iascaigh Mhara (BIM) has ordered a temporary closure of facilities at Howth, Kilmore Quay and Dunmore East. According to BIM, a number of issues require immediate attention following recent health and safety audits.

The plants are used as storage facilities by some of the bigger fishing boats while they are at sea. In a letter to the trawler captains, BIM said that it was now concentrating on restarting the ice production units as soon as possible.

River rescue

A garda rescued a girl (17) from the River Lee in Cork city last night.

The alarm was raised at around 8.45pm at which point two officers went out to George's Quay, where they found the girl.

One officer jumped into the water and managed to bring the girl to the bank where he and the second officer were able to lift her to safety.

She was taken to Cork University Hospital where her condition was unknown.

Gaybo honours Gertie

BROADCASTER Gay Byrne has led tributes to the late road-safety campaigner Gertie Shields, who spent her life fighting for stricter laws against drink-driving. Ms Shields (85) died peacefully at the Mater Hospital last Thursday.

A native of Balbriggan, she became a road-safety champion after her daughter Paula (19) and five others were killed when a man driving under the influence of alcohol ploughed into their mini-bus in February 1983.

Gertie spent the rest of her life campaigning against drink-driving and set up her own group, Mothers Against Drink Driving.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Explosive device

An Army Bomb Disposal Team has made safe a viable explosive device found in a residential area in Co Kildare.

Houses in the vicinity of Townparks, Athy, were evacuated and local roads were closed yesterday evening.

The Defence Forces deployed an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team, which arrived shortly after 6pm.

The device was made safe at the scene and was removed to a secure military location where it was confirmed to be viable. The scene was declared safe less than an hour later.

Most Watched