Houses evacuated after second bomb scare in less than 24 hours in Ballymun
A NUMBER of houses were evacuated last night - after the second bomb scare in the area in less than 24 hours.
The latest incident at Balcurris in Ballymun followed a similar scare at Shangan Green in Ballymun earlier yesterday.
"People are really worried as it seems to be escalating," local councillor Noeleen Reilly of Sinn Fein told Independent.ie
"Some houses were evacuated last night an area was sealed off.
The latest incident was investigated, but was found to be a hoax.
Earlier, more than 10 homes were evacuated and a housing estate cordoned off after a suspected pipe bomb was found nearby.
The suspect device was discovered at 6.40am in Shangan Green, Ballymun, by a member of the public.
Gardai immediately evacuated the houses and cordoned off the area.
The Army's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit was called to the scene.
The area was sealed off for a number of hours as examinations were carried out on the device.
Senior investigators also attended the scene due to the seriousness of the threat.
Yesterday afternoon, following a lengthy probe at the scene, the EOD concluded its operation and initial examinations of the device indicate that it was also a hoax pipe bomb.
The device has since been removed to a Defence Force barracks in the capital, where further investigations will be carried out.
Anything of evidential value will be passed on to gardai as part of their investigation.
This incident follows on from the shooting of three teenagers in the same housing estate the previous week.
The youths were struck with shotgun pellets when the gunman opened fire as they stood alongside a bonfire on Shangan Green, shortly before 8pm on June 12.
The youths, aged in their late teens, were taken by ambulance to The Mater Misericordiae University Hospital and Temple Street Children's University Hospital, where they were treated for minor injuries.
A source said of that shooting: "This incident had the potential to be fatal. The shooter fired indiscriminately at a group of men standing at a bonfire from around 40 metres."
One of the men had also been stabbed in the arm earlier that day.
He was treated for the injury and later discharged from hospital.
Extra gardai will now carry out extensive patrols in the Ballymun area in an attempt to prevent the feud from escalating further.