Monday 18 December 2017

House party ends in tragedy as man (25) stabbed and killed

The man is named locally as Mike O'Dwyer, and an arrest has been made

The scene of the fatal stabbing at Seafield, Tramore, Co Waterford
The scene of the fatal stabbing at Seafield, Tramore, Co Waterford

A HOUSE party ended in tragedy with a young man suffering fatal stab wounds to the chest.

Gardai have launched a murder inquiry following the discovery of the blood-soaked body of the 25 year old man at a rented property in Seafield in Tramore, Co Waterford shortly after midnight.

The deceased has been named locally as Mike O'Dwyer.

He had been living in the small estate, located some 100m from Tramore Strand, for several weeks.

However, the deceased was originally from Kilkenny.

Tramore Gardai arrested a 32 year old man at the scene.

He is being questioned at Tramore Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and can be held for an initial period of 24 hours.

The man detained is also understood to be from Kilkenny and was known to the deceased.

Gardai cordoned off the scene pending a detailed examination by technical experts.

The two-storey semi-detached house is at the rear of the small cul-de-sac estate.

It is within sight of Tramore Promenade and a popular local holiday caravan park.

The Seafield estate is primarily used for seasonal summer rentals but a number of people do live in the estate year-round.

The property on one side of the house where the fatal stabbing occurred is empty.

The other house is occupied but the residents are understood to have been at work when the incident occurred next door.

One of the door panels of the house where Mr o'Dwyer died was missing, having apparently been kicked or forced in.

A neighbour, who asked to be unnamed, said he believed the door panel had been kicked in as part of the row in which the young man died.

"At the time I just thought it was people having fun as part of the party. I was watching a DVD last night so I just turned the sound up and didn't bother going out to check what was going on," he said.

"The next thing I noticed flashing blue lights through the window and realised that there were Gardai and paramedics outside."

"I didn't go up there and I didn't know the chap that died."

The body of the young man was removed to Waterford Regional Hospital, Ardkeen where a full post mortem examination is scheduled to take place this (Friday) evening.

Gardai confirmed they are treating the death as murder and commenced door-to-door inquiries in the Seafield estate to determine if locals saw or heard anything suspicious.

A key element of the Garda inquiry will be determining precisely how many people were in Seafield property when the fatal stabbing occurred.

A Garda liaison officer has been appointed to assist the family of the deceased man.


Ralph Riegel

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News