Saturday 16 November 2019

Hotel sued in gas leak death

Gordon Deegan

A WOMAN is suing a top hotel over an incident that claimed the life of her sister.

Patricia Russell has begun High Court proceedings against Trident Bawncross Ltd, the company that operates the Trident Hotel in Kinsale, Co Cork, over the suspected gas leak that killed her sister, Miriam Reidy (35) and left Ms Russell herself seriously ill last year.

In turn, the Trident is suing the plumbing firm that refurbished a boiler at the hotel.

Ms Russell and Ms Reidy, both from Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, had travelled to Kinsale for their cousin's hen party and were sharing a room at the Trident on January 9, 2011.

Ms Reidy sought medical attention and was seen by a doctor during the night after complaining of being unwell. However, her body was discovered in her room on the Sunday afternoon. Ms Russell was seriously ill and unable to attend her sister's funeral eight days later. An adjourned inquest in June of last year heard that Ms Reidy died from acute carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Ms Russell instituted proceedings in May of this year against Trident Bawncross Ltd.

The Reidy family yesterday declined to comment.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News