Saturday 20 January 2018

Hospital goes to High Court in effort to compel Caesarean section

Waterford Regional Hospital
Waterford Regional Hospital

A HOSPITAL went to the High Court today in an attempt to compel a pregnant woman to undergo a Caesarean section.

Waterford Regional Hospital made the emergency application this morning, saying the woman is 13 days overdue and had refused consent for the procedure.

 

However, the woman has this afternoon consented to an emergency Caesarean.

 

Judge John Hedigan said if it is not necessary, then it is appropriate that no court order is made.

 

The court had earlier heard that the mother had said that she would like to deliver naturally.

 

She said that if there is an emergency over the weekend she would consent to a Caesarian.

 

But later the court was told that the woman was vacillating between having it carried out on Monday or tomorrow when her husband is due to return.

 

Doctors believe there may be a “risk” for the woman and her baby if a natural birth is attempted and said the latest scan was not reassuring.

 

In an affidavitt by a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist, the court was told that the baby could die or have severe brain damage, and the mother would be at a serious risk of a haemhorrhage.

 

The woman at the centre of this case cannot be identified. She is known as DA.

 

Lawyers for the hospital told the court that the woman previously delivered a baby boy in 2010 by Caesarean section.

 

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News