Tuesday 20 March 2018

Homeless man who lay dead for a week in Mater identified

mater hospital
mater hospital
Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

THE homeless man, whose body lay undiscovered in the Mater Hospital for a week, was a Polish national who stayed at a number of hostels in the city.

The Herald revealed that he was discovered in a disused part of the hospital by a member of staff on April 9.

The man, who was in his 30s, had stayed at a number of homeless hostels around town and his last known address was a religious-run hostel on South Circular Road.

Following a post-mortem on the body, it was determined that the man had been dead for up to a week.

Gardai believe that he died around April 2.

The Mater has refused to comment on the circumstances of the death, but yesterday a spokesperson said that it had CCTV footage which it beleives shows the man being escorted from the grounds on April 6.


A garda spokesperson told the Herald that the case was now a matter for the coroner and the death was not being treated as suspicious.

Brother Kevin Crowley, of the Capuchin Day Centre for the homeless, praised the hospital for its work with the homeless.

He said that the homeless were often allowed stay in the grounds of the hospital waiting on rooms overnight, when they had nowhere else to go.

“It’s a very sad case and unfortunately the homeless crises seem to be only getting worse,” he said.

“When you’re walking the streets, you’ll often pick the first place to shelter.”

Following the discovery of the body, gardai were called to the scene by hospital officials and launched an investigation into the incident.

The man’s body was taken to the Dublin morgue where a post-mortem took place.

The HSE was notified of the incident.

The Mater launched its own internal investigation, which has since been completed.

However, it has refused to comment on the outcome.

The man was homeless and known to some of the staff of the hospital as a “character” from around the area.

He was not a patient of the hospital at the time of his death.

The man had managed to gain entry to a part of the hospital complex which was not in use, following the opening of the Whitty Building.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News