Thursday 22 August 2019

Winter vomiting bug hits Slieve Russell Hotel

Guests and staff were affected by the hotel’s Norovirus outbreak. Photo: Tom Conachy
Guests and staff were affected by the hotel’s Norovirus outbreak. Photo: Tom Conachy
Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

An outbreak of the winter vomiting bug has forced the closure of the four-star Slieve Russell Hotel.

Its understood the decision was taken to close on Monday following a number of cases of the bug, also known as Norovirus, among both guests and staff.

Seven functions booked at the Cavan hotel have had to be relocated, including a number of weddings.

However, most of those have been moved to a new venue already.

"The hotel has been working closely with the parties involved and making every effort to find alternative venues to minimise the inconvenience caused to these guests. Most of these functions have already been relocated," a spokeswoman said.

The hotel said it would work with the HSE and environmental health officers. On December 12, the HSE was first notified that there had been a number of people suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea in the hotel.

Clinical testing confirmed the outbreak was caused by Norovirus infection.

It must now undergo a full deep-clean of all surfaces and furnishings. The HSE said the hotel could reopen as soon when all possible environmental sources of the virus have been disinfected.

So far this year, there have been 118 outbreaks of the bug across the country, with a total of 2,427 reported ill.

"There is presently a high incidence of this infection in the community in Ireland and outbreaks have been noted in hospitals, residential care homes and schools throughout the country," the HSE said.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News