Ten more women to lose out on review of CervicalCheck slides
Another 10 women who developed cervical cancer after going through the CervicalCheck screening programme will lose out on having their slides reviewed by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, it emerged yesterday.
The outside review of over 1,000 slides was commissioned in the wake of the CervicalCheck scandal and each woman will get an individual report.
However, 10 women whose slides were being assessed as part of a potential legal claim have now fallen outside the June 7 closing date for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists' review, Health Minister Simon Harris has revealed.
He also confirmed previous reports that slides of 31 women, including one who has died, have been lost.
Mr Harris was responding to a parliamentary question from Labour party TD Alan Kelly, who asked how many women are falling outside the review.
Mr Harris said that while "96pc of requested slides have been transferred, some difficulties were encountered by laboratories in either locating slides or in retrieving slides which had been sent out for external independent review at the request of individuals concerned or solicitors on their behalf".
"This means that just under 4pc of slides had unfortunately not been transferred to the review by the deadline of June 7 and cannot therefore be included," he added.
These slides include 10 women, who have a total of 29 slides, which have already been sent for external independent review at the request of the individuals, or their solicitors.
In the case of another 10 women and one next of kin some 36 slides could not be retrieved by laboratories.
He said these women, or their next of kin, will get a partial report - if they have other slides included in the review) - or no report, if the unavailable slide was their only one. Labs will continue to search for slides not yet located, he added.