A 15-YEAR-OLD out celebrating the Junior Certificate results was rushed to hospital last night after suffering a suspected ecstasy overdose.
The boy was found by ambulance staff on D’Olier Street in Dublin 2.
It is understood the boy had been out celebrating with friends in Dublin’s city centre.
A spokesperson for Dublin Fire Brigade said the boy was found at around 9pm. He said the teen was conscious and breathing as he was taken to St James’s Hospital for further observation. However, the hospital was not put on standby as would be the protocol if it was a medical emergency.
“He was said to be in a bad way. He was conscious and breathing but they couldn’t get much out of him,” the spokesperson said.
“It was the opinion of the emergency personnel that he had overdosed on ecstasy and he was taken to St James’s Hospital.” There was no further update on the teenager’s condition late last night.
Emergency services reported a “hectic night” with dozens of incidents requiring the attention of ambulance crews in Dublin city alone. A spokesperson said all 12 Dublin Fire Brigade ambulances were mobilised and were busy all night.
By 10pm there had been no reports of any assaults but the spokesperson said the number of alcohol-related cases they would be dealing with would be “well into the double digits”.
A spokesperson for the gardai said that they had no information on the incident and that they were expecting a busy night so would not be investigating it until “the dust settles”.
Around 60,000 students took to towns across the country last night to celebrate their results. Many nightclubs put on special themed events.
Drinkaware.ie and the National Parents Council post-primary (NPCpp) highlighted that 46pc of those aged between 10 and 17 have drank alcohol at some point. Both groups had called on parents to know where their children were going and who with.
Drinkaware.ie Chief Executive Fionnuala Sheehan said that peer pressure has a strong influence on young people.
“More than half of Irish teenagers do not drink alcohol – it is important that young people are made aware of this fact. It is also helpful for parents to be aware of this and to discuss alcohol with their sons and daughters,” said Ms Sheehan.
She also warned parents and adults away from buying alcohol for celebrating students.
“Irish teens access much of the alcohol that they consume by finding other people to purchase it for them or by sourcing it in their homes or friends’ homes,” she said.