Nurses at Beaumont Hospital serve notice of industrial action
*Work to rule will commence on June 10 *Industrial action due to staffing shortages, chronic and severe overcrowding, 90 delayed discharges and 33 beds closed
Nurses at Beaumont Hospital have served notice of industrial action due to “unsafe conditions” in the Emergency Department for patients and staff.
The action, which will take the form of a work to rule, will commence on Wednesday June 10, the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation has said.
In a statement, the INMO said overcrowding levels remain "dangerously high" due to insufficient bed capacity in the hospital.
During the work to rule, all essential care required by patients will be provided but non-essential/administrative work will not be done.
The INMO said the action will escalate to work stoppages if the situation does not improve.
Members of the INMO had agreed to defer industrial action earlier this year following agreement reached at the Labour Relations Commission (LRC) in respect of increased staffing and measures to address overcrowding.
However, the INMO says management have failed to honour these commitments. The extra nursing staff promised have not been recruited and the department is constantly left short staffed, it said.
On top of this, in recent weeks, management have taken the decision to close 33 beds thus reducing capacity further in the hospital.