Monday 16 September 2019

Just half of cervical cancer victims consent to external review

(Stock picture)
(Stock picture)
Eilish O'Regan

Eilish O'Regan

Only of half the women who developed cervical cancer and have been invited to provide their slides for an external review of laboratory screening have so far consented.

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, commissioned to do the review in the wake of the CervicalCheck scandal, has contacted 1,591 women to date, including relatives of the deceased.

Some 813 have returned forms and 786 have consented. Some 65 of these are part of the original 221 group who received wrong test results.

The figures were released by Health Minister Simon Harris to Sinn Féin health spokeswoman Louise O'Reilly.

Meanwhile, there is increasing impatience among the victims of CervicalCheck at the time it is taking to investigate the leak of part of the Gabriel Scally report on CervicalCheck before it was published.

The move caused major upset to women who were diagnosed with cancer and the bereaved. Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he appointed an official to examine the breach.

However, his department has refused to say if anyone has been interviewed and why it is taking so long.

A spokesman also refused to say if the people involved will be named and disciplined.

The leak said Dr Scally's view was that a commission of inquiry into the scandal was not needed. A spokesman for the department said he had nothing further to add at this stage of the inquiry.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News