| 4.3°C Dublin

'He went blue... I thought he was going to die' - Paramedic saved father's life after he almost died from wasp sting


Paul Newport with wife Sarah Photo: Wexford People

Paul Newport with wife Sarah Photo: Wexford People

Paul Newport with wife Sarah Photo: Wexford People

A local paramedic has been hailed a hero after he saved the life of a 48-year-old father who suffered from anaphylactic shock after a wasp sting.

Paul Newport (48) from Wexford stopped breathing after the attack and local paramedic Ger Carthy kept him alive.

The paramedic had to call on Wexford gardai to take him to Wexford General because there was no ambulance available.

Paul's wife Sarah said her husband would have died without the help of paramedic Ger Carthy.

"It was very frightening. It was the third time he had been stung, but this reaction was the worst.. his lips swelled up and his throat constricted.. by the time we got him to the hospital he had turned blue, I thought he was going to die," she said.

Ger Carthy said he kept Paul alive by using his paramedic's equipment to breathe for him as he was taken to hospital in the garda van.

"He had stopped breathing.. I was breathing for him. He is extremely lucky to be alive."

Ger had previously administered three epi-shots used to treat people suffering from anaphylactic shock.

Sarah and Paul were at their home at Our Lady's Island on Friday evening when he was stung on the head by a wasp.

"He has antihistamine, but didn't have it with him. I called Ger who told me what to do, but by the time I put the phone down his symptoms had worsened. I rang again because things were getting worse and Ger told us to keep going.. to keep him alive. I could see his lips swelling and was unconscious, I thought he was going to die."

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Sarah said there was no change in Paul's condition after the epi-shots were administered at Ashield Cross during a nightmare journey to Wexford, however, he slowly improved after being rushed to hospital where he received emergency treatment in the resuscitation unit.

"He was unconscious for about four hours,' said Sarah, visiting a local doctor with Paul yesterday (Monday) to make sure he had a ready supply of Epi-Pens in the event he was stung again.

"If he had had one that night when he was stung, things wouldn't have been so bad. I was just like a robot when it happenened. We have three small children at home and I just wanted to tell them their daddy was still alive when we were at the hospital," she said.

The National Ambulance Service can confirm that a 112/999 call was received at 19.40hrs on the 26th August, 2016 for  person who had received an insect sting.

A spokesperson said: "The patient was treated at scene by a National Ambulance Service paramedic  who was not on duty but happened to be in the area at the time.  A Garda car also passing the area stopped to offer assistance. The paramedic examined and stabilised the patient at the scene and deemed the patient appropriate for transport via car under their care.  The patient was transported to Wexford General Hospital by the Garda and paramedic in attendance who offered assistance.

No delay was experienced by the patient and care delivery was maintained during transport by the paramedic."

Most Watched