News Irish News

Thursday 18 January 2018

'He was always so helpful' - Tributes paid to Dad-of-three who died after 'aerosol can exploded in homemade incinerator'

Aidan Cummins (inset) from Carrick-on-Bannow, South Wexford
Aidan Cummins (inset) from Carrick-on-Bannow, South Wexford

Catherine Devine and Amy Molloy

A dad-of-three has tragically died after an explosion at his work shed in Co Wexford.

Aidan Cummins (53) of Carrig-on-Bannow, South Wexford was working in his shed on Saturday morning when the incident occurred.

Early indications suggest an aerosol can accidentally fell into his homemade incinerator and exploded.

Local councillor Willie Fitzharris (FG) said it's believed the explosion caused the door of the incinerator to burst off and hit Mr Cummins in the head.

He was brought to Wexford General Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

A garda spokesman confirmed that they are investigating the incident, which is being treated as accidental.

Cllr Fitzharris said the whole community is "deeply shocked".

"We're all devastated. He has three young kids and was very well liked in the community.

"He's a mechanic by trade and loved cars and the GAA. He was such a hard worker."

A family friend and neighbour described the news as "devastating".

"He was a very helpful man, always willing to help others. He was very popular and it's extremely sad that this has happened," the friend said.

Mr Cummins' family is actively involved with the local GAA club, Bannow-Ballymitty.

Wexford ladies U-14 football team held a minutes silence before their game against Westmeath on Saturday in memory of Mr Cummins.

He is survived by his wife Joan and his three children Cathal, Ciara and Cian.

His funeral mass will take place on Tuesday.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News