Thursday 21 November 2019

Gunned-down gran Mary to be laid to rest today

Mary Dargan
Mary Dargan

Emma Jane Hade

HUNDREDS of mourners will attend the funeral today of tragic grandmother Mary Dargan who was shot dead in front of her family.

The 66-year-old will be laid to rest after she died from a shotgun blast to the head at her Tallaght home.

The dedicated family woman's remains will be removed from her house this morning and will arrive at the Sacred Heart Church, Killinarden, for funeral Mass at 11am. She will be buried afterwards in Palmerstown Cemetery.


Parish priest Fr Manus Ferry last night told The Herald that the close-knit community remains in shock over the death of Ms Dargan, who he described as a "lovely person".

"I would have known Mary, and she was absolutely a lovely person. Her and her family have been established here a long time," he said.

Fr Ferry said Ms Dargan was "a family person" and that she had dedicated her life to her duties as a mother and grandmother.

He said he is expecting hundreds of mourners to pack into the church today to pay their last respects.

"I was shocked, and the whole community was very shocked by the tragedy. We are still shocked and numbed by it all," he said.

Ms Dargan died after she encountered a man entering the back of her house in the Killinarden Estate at around 4pm on March 15.

Several of her grandchildren were present in the house at the time, and her daughter Karina (34) was treated in Tallaght Hospital for injuries sustained to her face.

She has since been discharged from hospital.

James Redmond (58) was charged with murder and attempted murder last week when he appeared at Dublin District Court.


He was remanded in custody, and the court ordered a psychological assessment.

There were angry scenes in court last Monday when Mr Redmond -- a neighbour of Ms Dargan -- appeared.

Several members of the public shouted angrily at him as he was led in.

One woman had to be removed from the court, while a furious man had to be restrained after he tried to jump over the seating to reach the accused.

The court heard that Mr Redmond did not respond at Tallaght garda station when he was charged with murder and attempted murder.


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News