Wednesday 17 January 2018

Gunned-down gangland figure O’Reilly visited by ‘Don’ friend in hospital

Brian O Reilly... Eamon Dunne, alleged drug dealer (grey top) Photo Garrett White / Collins
Brian O Reilly... Eamon Dunne, alleged drug dealer (grey top) Photo Garrett White / Collins
Joyce Fegan

Joyce Fegan

GUNNED-down gangland figure Brian O’Reilly last night remained in a serious condition in hospital after he was attacked outside a gym Balbriggan.

O’Reilly - who was shot twice in the chest and once in the hand during the incident - was brought to Beaumont Hospital where close pal Derek McLoughlin visited him.

McLoughlin - like O’Reilly - helped carry the coffin of slain gang boss Eamon The Don’ Dunne, in 2010.

He survived an assassination attempt himself outside a gym in Swords in May of last year.


Gardai last night said that no arrests have yet been made in relation to the shooting of O’Reilly on Friday morning.

McLoughlin, who lives near the gym, followed his pal to hospital.

It is understood that O’Reilly was sitting up and talking by the time McLoughlin was allowed into see him in Beaumont.

The shooting incident was not caught on CCTV camera but it is believed that the lone gunman, who was not wearing a mask, fled in a white Nissan 200 SX or a white Toyota Supra.

It is believed that O’Reilly was involved in a heated row just 24 hours before the attempt on his life.

The 45-year-old Ballymun native is understood to have had a major disagreement with members of a north inner city gang on Thursday morning.

The row is believed to have centred around a cash dispute.

O’Reilly survived another attempt on his life four years ago when he was targeted at his local pub.

Tensions also exist between him and a Coolock gang over drugs that were worth a six-figure sum and went missing.

The Coolock gang was linked to a shooting in Donaghmede two weeks ago.

O’Reilly who had been living in Meath is believed to have moved to Balbriggan in recent months.

McLoughlin and O’Reilly were close friends of slain mob boss Eamon the Don’ Dunne. Both men helped to carry his coffin at his funeral in April 2010.

O’Reilly survived the first attempt on his life just four months after Dunne’s funeral.

Eight shots were fired at him by two gunmen in McDonough’s pub in Bettystown but he only suffered wounds to his face and arm.

The shooting was linked to members of the Real IRA.


However, sources said that detectives are “satisfied” that this recent attempted murder was not carried out by the Real IRA.

In December 2010, O’Reilly claimed in the High Court that senior gardai were in collusion with crime journalists to get him killed.

He said that after Dunne was shot dead, he had become the focus of media speculation over who was taking control of Dunne’s crime organisation.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News