Friday 24 January 2020

Gun murder gangs held 'face off' to settle rows

Andrew Barry
Andrew Barry

Tom Brady Security Editor

Two gangs involved in a feud, which resulted in a double murder in north Kildare on Tuesday night, were earlier involved in a "face off" to settle their grievances.

It emerged last night that the factions from north Kildare and south Dublin organised a confrontation earlier this year in a bid to stop the feuding with an unarmed fight.

But violence erupted again last month when the Kildare group became involved in two shooting incidents in the Tallaght area.

Gardai believe the murders of Andrew Barry (31) and a Lithuanian national, in his '30s, in a house in Kilcock were carried out as retaliation for the shootings.

Mr Barry was shot in the chest in the downstairs of his home at Rochford Avenue while the Lithuanian, who has not yet been formally identified, was hit in the back and side as he fled from the house into the back garden.

The gang of three attackers were armed with a handgun and shotgun and gardai think a fourth gang member was waiting nearby in a getaway car.

Gardai suspect that the row between the two groups is partly the result of a turf war over drugs but are satisfied that it was intensified recently because of an argument involving a county Kildare woman, who had links to both sides.

Nobody was injured in the Tallaght shootings but the incidents enraged the leader of the south Dublin gang. Detectives have held initial interviews with the two injured victims of the Kilcock attack but hope to talk to them again after they have recovered. They are currently being treated in the Mater and Tallaght hospitals for gunshot wounds to their legs.

Gardai said last night they hoped to build up a better picture of what took place in the house when technical experts produced the results of their forensic and ballistic tests.

House to house inquiries in the Rochford estate have been almost completed but gardai are renewing their appeal to locals, who might have seen an unknown car being driven around the estate between 10pm and 10.30pm on Tuesday.

The two injured men, a Dubliner and another Lithuanian, both have addresses in Derrinturn, Carbury, north Kildare while the dead Lithuanian is believed to have addresses in the same area and in Swords.

Officers acknowledged last night that the fallout from the feud was now the primary line of inquiry.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News