Wednesday 13 December 2017

Grave concerns force nursing home to close

Richard McCullen and Louise Hogan

RESIDENTS were last night removed from a private nursing home as a court ordered its closure amid concerns over a risk of hypothermia, falls and cleanliness at the home.

Inspectors detailed a litany of grave issues at Creevelea House Nursing Home in Laytown, Co Meath, as they made the application for deregistration of the home to the court.

Last night, Peter Murphy, the registered provider of the home, stated the care delivered was of a "high standard" and an "independent review" was being sought into the circumstances leading to the closure of the nursing home.


"It is with sadness and regret that Creevelea House Nursing Home has been forced to cease operation," Mr Murphy stated last night.

Minister of State for the NewEra project, Fergus O'Dowd, called for an investigation into the care and outcomes of all patients who have resided at the nursing home in Laytown over the past 10 years.

Mr O'Dowd said he visited the home in 2001 after he received a complaint about a woman who was "freezing in bed at the home".

Problems highlighted at Drogheda District Court in relation to the home included the recording of 19 falls among residents over a six-week period.

Inspectors with the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) also found the heating was not working properly, putting some residents at risk of hypothermia, and the only fresh food located on the premises was a bag of potatoes and a turnip.

HIQA raised "serious concerns" about the health and welfare of residents, cleanliness and a lack of a person in charge at the home. It was stated Mr Murphy lived in Limerick.

The court yesterday heard the operator of the home was withdrawing his appeal against HIQA's bid to have it removed from the nursing home register.

Initially, Mr Murphy, the director of Creevelea House Limited, had been opposing it. Barrister Ronan Kennedy, for HIQA, yesterday told Judge Flann Brennan that following discussions the owner was now consenting to the cancellation of its registration from 1pm yesterday.

The HSE confirmed it was making arrangements to find alternative accommodation for all remaining seven residents. They were later removed by ambulance from the home.

A spokesman for HIQA confirmed this was the fourth time it had turned to the courts to have a nursing home closed within the past two years.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News