Tuesday 20 March 2018

GP faces misconduct charges over 'futile' CPR bid

Louise Hogan

A DOCTOR'S "futile'' attempt to resuscitate a man while he was sitting in a chair following a heart attack could amount to poor professional performance, an inquiry heard yesterday.

Dr George Dimitrov Georgiev is facing six allegations of professional misconduct or poor professional performance before the Medical Council's fitness-to-practise committee in relation to his treatment of John Dunne (65), who died at home on July 2, 2009.

The committee heard Dr Georgiev had previously told the council he would not practise here and would withdraw his doctor's registration in Ireland following an unrelated complaint. He returned to South Africa in October 2009.

Among the allegations are that the doctor failed to explain adequately to Mr Dunne's wife, or their daughter that he was in a critical condition and failed to tell them how to deal with Mr Dunne's body once he had passed away at the house.

The inquiry was adjourned without evidence being heard but some of the allegations were briefly highlighted in a report by expert witness Professor Colin Bradley, a lecturer in general practice at UCC.


Prof Bradley's report stated that performing CPR on a patient while seated was "futile" and this may amount to poor professional performance.

The inquiry heard Dr Georgiev states he did perform adequate resuscitation.

The inquiry heard Mr Dunne, from Bluebell, Dublin, had passed away following a heart attack. However, more in-depth medical evidence will be given when the hearing date is set on November 1.

JP McDowell, solicitor for the chief executive of the Medical Council, said a letter from Dr Georgiev had provided "significant detail" in relation to the resuscitation, saying when he "returned to the house Mr Dunne was not breathing... I did CPR in an upright position".

The doctor acknowledged in the letter it would be more common practice to attempt resuscitation with the patient lying down.

The doctor's barrister pointed out that an ambulance was called but was cancelled when Mr Dunne passed away.

The committee decided to adjourn yesterday without hearing any evidence to allow the GP a final opportunity to take part in the inquiry in person or by video link.

Mr McDowell said the doctor had been alerted last July and had chosen not to attend "in frankly extraordinary" circumstances.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News