Sunday 19 November 2017

Gorse-fire farmer died in field blaze

Majella O'Sullivan

Majella O'Sullivan

AN 81-year-old man died after his clothes caught fire when he was burning gorse, an inquest heard yesterday.

The smouldering remains of Michael O'Shea were found on his land at Derrineden, Mastergeehy, Killarney, Co Kerry on February 11 this year. The jury recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Mr O'Shea's clothes had been burnt off his body and he suffered extensive first, second and third degree burns on his body and scalp.

The elderly farmer had been burning gorse and ferns on his land, the inquest in Cahirciveen heard.

His neighbour Patrick Sheahan noticed a "raging fire" on Mr O'Shea's land and had rushed over with a shovel in an attempt to put it out and stop it from spreading.

He said he met Mr O'Shea's sister, Shiela who told him her brother was missing. She had last seen him at around lunchtime but grew concerned when he hadn't returned home.

Mr O'Shea's charred remains were found lying face down. He was naked and had extensive burn marks on his body.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News