News Irish News

Wednesday 21 February 2018

'Glee' star Cory died of heroin and alcohol overdose, coroner says

'GLEE' actor Cory Monteith died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol, the British Columbia coroner's office has revealed.

"There is no evidence to suggest Mr Monteith's death was anything other than a most tragic accident," the office said in a statement last night.

The 31-year-old was found dead in his Vancouver, British Columbia, hotel room on Saturday, after he didn't check out on time. He was believed to be alone when he died.

Police said Monteith had been out with people earlier, but video and electronic records from the hotel indicated he returned to his room by himself early Saturday.

Monteith's death recalled the lives of Heath Ledger, Corey Haim and River Phoenix – actors who battled substance abuse and died in their 20s and 30s.

Monteith had talked bluntly to interviewers about struggling with addiction since he was a teenager.

He called it a serious problem and told Parade magazine in 2011 he was "lucky to be alive".

The star admitted himself to a treatment facility in April for substance addiction, a representative said at the time.

He also received treatment when he was 19.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News