Wednesday 21 November 2018

‘Get over Tweetgate and create jobs’, Pat Kenny tells Sean Gallagher

Pat Kenny with his proud wife Kathy at UCD yesterday after receiving an honorary Doctor of Science degree for exceptional contributions to public service broadcasting.
Pat Kenny with his proud wife Kathy at UCD yesterday after receiving an honorary Doctor of Science degree for exceptional contributions to public service broadcasting.
Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

RTE presenter Pat Kenny yesterday called on Sean Gallagher to get over 'Tweetgate' and get back to what he was "supposed to be good at" -- creating jobs.

Later this month, the compliance committee of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) will consider an internal report on the incident furnished to it by RTE.

The RTE findings, completed in July, have not yet been published.

But ahead of his return to the airwaves today, Mr Kenny has revealed that his staff had been completely exonerated over the incident.

"All my staff were completely vindicated, the personnel on 'The Frontline' . . . all vindicated, I was delighted with that process.

"No matter what you can say about the provenance of the tweet, Sean Gallagher was judged by the public not to be worthy of their votes," Mr Kenny told the Irish Independent.

"I don't think anything has changed in the revelations about the authenticity of the tweet, nothing has changed that has substantially altered the view of Sean Gallagher's performance that night," he said.

The BAI upheld a complaint by Mr Gallagher after a tweet was read out from an unofficial "Martin McGuinness for President" Twitter account on the show. It claimed that Sinn Fein was going to produce a man who handed him €5,000 for Fianna Fail.

Mr Gallagher's handling of the tweet is widely agreed to have damaged his image ahead of the election.

"I bear him no ill-will, I wish him the best of luck, he's an entrepreneur, I hope he goes on to create a lot of jobs," Mr Kenny said.

In July, it emerged that Mr Gallagher had chosen not to accept an invitation to Miriam O'Callaghan's 'Saturday Night with Miriam' programme.

But Mr Kenny said that if the former 'Dragon's Den' star chose not to engage with RTE, it was "his loss".

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News