News Irish News

Tuesday 12 December 2017

German injured in fall from hostel balcony

A man was seriously ill in hospital last night after he fell four storeys from a hostel balcony in the centre of Dublin.

Gardai were trying to contact the family of the young German, who had earlier climbed up a fire escape ladder.

He fell about 40 feet from the top-floor balcony at the rear of the City Manor hostel at Mabbot Lane, off Talbot Street, yesterday afternoon.

Emergency services were quickly at the scene and put the man in a neck brace before placing him in an ambulance and taking him to the Mater Hospital.

Last night he was described as being in a serious but stable condition.

Local residents Jeremy Leighton and Chantal Shine, who lived across the lane in Fitzharris House, spotted the man on the fire escape hours earlier and made a 999 call on a mobile phone.

A garda cyclist was sent from nearby Store Street station to check out the report but could not find anybody on any of the balconies or fire escapes.

The man was spotted again later in the same area and then fell from the balcony as he was smoking a cigarette.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News