Monday 22 January 2018

Gas blast suspected as pensioner dies in blaze

AN elderly pensioner has died following a blaze at her home, which gardai believe may have been caused by a gas explosion.

Lily Finnegan, (84), from Doohamlet, Co Monaghan, was alone in the house at 4.20pm yesterday when a massive fire spread through the two-storey building.

Gardai said they believed a gas tank may have exploded and sparked the blaze.

Mrs Finnegan had earlier made her usual trip to St Mary's health centre in Castleblaney to meet up with other elderly people living in the area.

Having spent a couple of hours at the centre, it is understood she was dropped home by her daughter-in-law shortly after 3pm.

Mrs Finnegan lived alone following the death of her husband some years ago.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News