Gardai are investigating a possible connection between two arson attacks on the home and butcher business of a Co Clare couple.
The property of Hector and Mona Cassley in Quin, Co Clare, was set alight early yesterday.
Gardai and the fire services were alerted to a fire at the premises at around 4am. On arrival, fire crews discovered one room alight and detected a strong smell of petrol.
Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control. The rear of the premises was extensively damaged while the building was also affected by smoke.
It is understood that the intruders doused several rooms of the family residence with petrol and set it alight. However the blaze was confined to just one room.
In a previous attack, the building was also drenched in petrol but failed to ignite. The home was also burgled twice in the past year.
A garda spokesman said: "We are looking at a possible connection between four incidents. We would ask anyone who was in Quin early on Monday morning to come forward if they saw anything suspicious."
Gardai at Ennis can be contacted at 065 6848100.