Sunday 20 October 2019

Gardai seek RTE tape in abuse probe

Cormac McQuinn

Cormac McQuinn

GARDAI in Waterford are seeking to obtain a recording made by an RTE reporter of a former sports coach admitting he sexually abused as many as 30 teenage boys.

Clips from the recording, disguising the man's voice, were played on news bulletins on Wednesday, April 24 where the man did not deny the allegations of sex abuse put to him.

It is understood gardai are to seek a warrant from Waterford District Court to obtain the full recording and that RTE will comply with the request. A man in his 40s has accused the former coach of abusing him over three years in the 1980s from the age of 14 and has made a statement to gardai.

The man is alleged to have tied up the teenagers in his home and forced them to take part in sex acts. He gave them beer and cash after the abuse, allegations he did not deny when confronted by the Irish Independent last week.

He admitted he had abused several teenagers but claimed he has never faced criminal charges. He said he had not re-offended since attending counselling in the late 1980s after being instructed to do so by gardai.

And he said he was still an "honorary member" of the sports club but had not attended underage matches since the counselling.

An RTE spokesman said: "RTE has a clear consistent policy around this. Gardai are welcome to any broadcast material but un-broadcast material is subject to a court order."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News