Wednesday 17 January 2018

Gardai recover cash and gun from raiders after car chase

The bank targeted by raiders.
The bank targeted by raiders.

Tom Brady, Security Editor

GARDAI recovered a handgun and cash after officers chased armed bank raiders through Dublin's south city.

A suspect in his 30s was also arrested when he fell from the back of a motorcycle after it swerved out of control as the raiders tried to make a getaway.

The two raiders stormed into a Bank of Ireland branch near the Montrose Hotel on the Stillorgan Road at around 11.30am yesterday.

They forced the terrified staff to hand over a bag containing a quantity of cash and then sped from the scene in a white Saab.

Gardai were immediately alerted at Donnybrook station and patrol cars converged on the area.

The Saab was quickly located at the Seamount apartment complex in Booterstown where it had been abandoned by the gunmen and set on fire.

The raiders then switched to a motorcycle but were spotted by gardai, who gave chase as it sped towards the city.

The driver lost control of the motorcycle in the Ringsend Park area and his passenger fell on to the ground.

He attempted to flee on foot but was arrested shortly afterwards by gardai.

The suspect was taken to Irishtown garda station where he was being questioned last night.

The suspect can be held without charge for up to three days.

Gardai also recovered the handgun they believed was used in the robbery and a haul of money.

The driver of the motorcycle escaped and his description was later circulated to garda patrols throughout the capital as the search widened last night.

Meanwhile, gardai were questioning a 40-year-old man last night after an attempted armed robbery at a post office at Collins Avenue on the northside of the city.


The lone raider walked into the post office at around 3.30pm, flashed a knife and demanded cash. He is thought to have panicked when he was not immediately given any money and ran empty handed out of the premises in the direction of Swords Road.

Gardai who responded to a 999 call spotted the suspect on the road, a short distance from the post office, and recovered a knife. The suspect was taken to Coolock garda station where he was being questioned last night under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and could be held for up to 24 hours.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News