Monday 18 December 2017

Gardai probe threats to journalists after driveby shooting

Ian Mallon

Ian Mallon

GARDAI are investigating threats to the lives of two journalists by an associate of the criminal who was the intended target of Dublin's latest shooting.

Ken Foy of the 'Evening Herald' and Mick McCaffrey were threatened by an ally of criminal Karl Fay (21). Fay was the suspected target of the gunmen who shot innocent 16-year-old Stephen Hynes.

A close associate of Fay's rang Mr McCaffrey's desk phone yesterday and told the person who answered that he would put the personal details of Mr McCaffrey and Mr Foy on Facebook "before the night is out".

The chilling threat was "actively being investigated" by gardai in Store Street, Kevin Street, and Crumlin garda stations, the garda press office told the Irish Independent.

In an eight-minute phone call the man, who is known to gardai, tells how Fay should not have been named in the newspapers and he blamed the media for putting his associate into the spotlight.

"I'm going to make sure before the night is out that Mick McCaffrey's address is known by every gangster in Dublin," said the caller.

Later in the call, the man added: "I'll put Ken Foy's address on Facebook, so everybody will know it."

Execution

Fay survived another attempt on his life last year and has a number of convictions on his record.

This is the second time in a year that Mr McCaffrey has been threatened.

Last year, a major Dublin criminal ordered the execution of Mr McCaffrey and a fee of €20,000 had been agreed with a Dublin hitman.

The order was made from behind bars by a man with links to the murdered gangster John Wilson, who was murdered almost two weeks ago.

Mr McCaffrey was forced to move from his home at the time of the threat, which garda sources said had reached "an advanced stage".

As well as Mr McCaffrey, a senior detective had also been threatened by the thug in last year's incident.

Gardai took the the matter "extremely seriously" because of the violent nature of the suspect and because of intelligence they received in which they were satisfied that an actual order had been given.

It is not clear if the current threats against Mr McCaffrey of the 'Sunday World' and Mr Foy were based on any clear evidence that the man has their home addresses.

However, a source close to one of the journalists said: "All these types of incidents need to be taken very seriously and the gardai are doing that in this case."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News